Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Won't crank. panel lights come on, starter relay clicks,

Customer Question
Won't crank. panel...

Won't crank. panel lights come on, starter relay clicks, won't try to turn over. replaced started, battery is new.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

205k. reman tranny i put on a few months ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2001 toyota 4runner sr5. curious is starter relay needs replacing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing myself. stated above what is going on i believe.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/28/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you verified 12v at starter signal wire when in start position?

that i have not done. this is my son's car and he is 2 hrs away in college. he has a tester. i was going to have him test that when he is able to get back to his car.

ok let me know what he comes up with ill be here in 2 hours

well, my son tried to crank the vehicle and it started this time. this has been happening off and on for the past few weeks. it will work several times during the day and then all of a sudden, it won't crank. let it sit for 30 min or an hour and it may or may not crank again.

always starts when you need to check something lol, so when it fails again that would be the thing to check to verify if its the starter or another component in the starting circuit

i'm assuming i can leave this thread open a few days and re-use it? or do i need to start another one once it fails?

oh no this thread stays open for a month, so after a few days just log back in and we can start chatting again,it will all be covered at the original fee, if you would like to rate me now that would be great, I strive for great customer service and a 5 start rating would be appreciated very much, you can do this at the top right hand corner of the screen

Hows it going?

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician