Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The battery light is on. checked the battery and it is ok.

Customer Question
The battery light is...

The battery light is on. checked the battery and it is ok. could it be the alternator ? Is the alternator easy to replace by owner?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

Yes, the battery is good. Have not checked alternator.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

FJ 2007, 100,000 miles approx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Will try to fix it myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Alternator indicator shows that it is charging but seems low

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ron Z., - Toyota Tech - replied 4 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

When the the battery light is lit, this is a common sign of a fault in the Charging System. More commonly, this a faulty alternator or a weak battery. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running (if you need to jump-start the vehicle, make sure to remove the jumper cables before testing), take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion and that the serpentine belt is tight around the alternator pulley at this time.

Replacing the alternator on this vehicle isn't a bad job at all. The Labor Time Guide calls for under an hour to complete the job. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

..

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

..

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -