Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Its making that rapid clicking noise even without the key in…

Customer Question
Its making that rapid...

Its making that rapid clicking noise even without the key in the ign.ition. Overhead interior lights and trunk light are blinking as well. The other issue is that, yes i did let the battery run until it died....But i think i let the gas go empty as well. So after adding a gallon of gas and 4 cranks to the engine....It seems as if the engine is not taking in any fuel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Uhhhh noo. I wouldnt even know how to search for that in the manual. Kinda the reason why im here...Chatting with you.‚úĆūüė¨

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2016 toyota corolla S

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

The car is stranded in a parking lot right now. All ive been able to do in the dark, its 0220 here, is try jumping it and adding 1 gallon of petrol.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Npe thats it. Thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/28/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you connect jumper cables are they a good quality set of jumper cables and do the lights stop blinking and the clicking stop when the cables are connected?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

Umm i guess they are ok quality. I got them from Shell for 17$. The click and blink started after removing the cables. In retrospect....No i did not reconnect cables to see if the click and blink stops.

Does the starter engage to crank over the engine with or without the jumper cables attached?

O.k., does it require the jumper cables to be attached before it will crank over?

No. Isnt that what you just asked me?I just thought of something....Would a broken key be a problem?

O.k., it is but I left it at the starter engaging with or without the cables so I wasn't sure if you meant it did crank only with the cables attached and wanted to make sure.

If you have a broken key or remote this can cause this issue here.The key/remote won't be able to signal the theft and computer to allow starting.If you do have a broken key this would need to be replaced and programmed to correct this fault.The programming usually has to be done by a dealer or repair center in your area that can do the programming.

The other issue can be loose or corroded battery cables at or leading from the battery or possibly a fault with the electronic ignition switch with an internal short needing replaced.You would need to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set then those codes diagnosed and repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

You still there?

Yes, I am.Did you get my answer/reply above at all?If not let me know and I will re post it.

Thanks Pete

Hello.. Its making me pay again...even though my one and only concern has not been solved.

I think what you are seeing is a phone call request automated offer.The web site sends automated offers like this and which you do not have to do as we can continue here.I don't think you saw my answer above so I will re post it below.You can ignore the phone call request.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician