Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Tundra 4.7L that I just purchased. The SRS…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Tundra 4.7L that I just purchased. The SRS light on the dash is flashing on and off. I flash coded it and it threw me a code 62 and 31. I’m trying to figure out where to start so I can hopefully fix this on my own. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes, all the fuses are good and the bulbs seem fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Basically just getting the codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That’s all I can give him

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/28/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

If you can give me a moment I will check my shop notes on those codes

the code 31 that one shows airbag sensor assembly, the airbag sensor assembly is located under the radio on the floor in the center console . Here is a picture showing it's location. I would give you a word of caution , if you never worked on a SRS system before DON'T! as it can be extremely dangerous to do. I would recommend have a certified shop handle this. But if there is any further info you would like on this issue I would be more than happy to oblige.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Could the code 62 be throwing the code 31 from the main assembly?

Yes that is a possibility so I would correct the squib circuit first as we have had them as a common issue. Are you going to tackle this yourself? If so do you need further assistance?

I am going to try and tackle it by myself, I’m going to unhook the battery and let the truck sit for a while before venturing into anything. For the 62 code where do I need to look to fix the problem as far as inside the truck

Could you please give me until this evening to gather all the info for you and please accept the service I will be offering you so I can send all this info to you . It will be right from our shop manuals.

If I accept and pay the amount will I know what the issue is by the time we are done or it is like a set amount of responses you can give me. I can’t afford to take the truck to the dealership I know they will suck as much money as they possibly can from me. I’m getting ready to put this truck up for sale and everything needs to be ready to go. I just need you to walk me through and decipher some of steps in the links you gave me
If we can get to a solution for this I’ll be happy to accept and get to work with you

all things lead to the air bag sensor assembly which is the one I pointed out under the dash in front of the console, as this is common to both codes. there are no checks for that sensor itself. I would see if you can locate a used one from a wrecking yard. Do you need procedure for replacement? All the other test procedures I gave you with the first link

the senior assembly is basically the control center for the airbag system? I located it yesterday, if I find a used one will I need to have it programmed or can I just plug it up and see if it fixes the light
I meant sensor assembly*

No these are strictly plug and play.

Alright I found one on eBay for 50 bucks from an 01. Do you think I should try it before getting too deep into the code 62 just to see if the entire issue is the assembly itself??

yes as that is the central location for both codes.

Alright thank you so much. I’m going to try it and I’ll let you know if that fixes it

I will check back to see your notes , lets keep our fingers crossed, good luck.