Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Toyota Camry. Is there anyway to fix the

I have a 2005 Toyota...
I have a 2005 Toyota Camry. Is there anyway to fix the problem for the Unintended Acceleration?
11/27/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Does it have the 2.4 or 3.3L engine?

Do you ever have an issue of unintended acceleration when the cruise control is OFF?

It is a six cylinder. I have never had an issue when the cruise control is off. I have not owned this vehicle very long. I got a speeding ticket and wanted to start using the cruise control. The first time I use the cruise control I just thought when it’s accelerated that maybe I just didn’t know how to use it. Are used it successfully a couple times and then again I used it and Excellerated again. I want to get it fixed if I can. The other option is just to get rid of the vehicle and get another one.

HI,

Ok, short answer is to get rid of it.

Long answer is that this is a well known issue with 2004-2006 Camrys and no simple solution. Sometimes it can be cured by replacing the ECU, cruise control switch and throttle body at a cost of around $2100 parts and labor. But other times, nothing cures it of this, including replacing the ECU, cruise control switch, throttle body and wiring harness.

This is an engineering problem that Toyota has never addressed. They have not issued any recalls, primarily because they have not found a set solution that works everytime.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

This is exactly what I needed to know. Since I got a speeding ticket I was told if I got it fixed they would likely suspend any other action. With what you’re saying I agree I should just replace it. You’re terrific and will get an excellent rating.

You are welcome and have a safe Christmas and New Years

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Your excellent rating has been delivered. Merry Christmas and have a blessed new year