Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a problem with a 2008 Toyota Rav 4. The issue is the…

Customer Question
Hi, My name is*****...

Hi, My name is***** have a problem with a 2008 Toyota Rav 4. The issue is the torque converter clutch is running high. I was told that I need to replace the entire transmission to make this repair. Is that right? Or is there another option?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Toyota RAV4. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No I just this. It started with dash lights on all the time. Toyota dealer stated I would have to spend about $4600.00 for their repair.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/27/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the fault is only with the torque converter itself usually it can be replaced separately from the transmission.This can run around $1200 or up to $1500 to have replaced.If the torque converter has damaged the transmission though then the entire transmission would need to be replaced.So it is very possible the entire transmission has to be replaced to resolve the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician