Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Check engine and brake warning lights go on and off. Stays…

Customer Question
Check engine and brake...

Check engine and brake warning lights go on and off

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on when on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

1997 toyota camry LE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Son in law tried ?GRV replacement

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Auto shop for japanese cars said their scanner for $57 can identify problem

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/27/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What has to be done is to have a compatible scan tool plugged into your model that can read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.This has to be done as there are several components that can fail and causes these lights to come on from faulty sensors and solenoids to wiring at fault or even mechanical issues.

Most shops or a dealer can plug in their scan tool to read the codes for you for a fee.In some cases, a local parts store can plug in their scan tool to read these codes as well.

This does have to be done to help locate and repair this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete