Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I replaced the batteries on the remote and it is still not…

Customer Question
I replaced the batteries...

I replaced the batteries on the remote and it is still not working. The lights keep flashing but does not start the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

The headlights just blink and then stays off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2013 Toyota rav 4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had gotten it installed maybe 8 months ago. Worked just fine. Then about a month ago when I used the remote the car would try to start over and over again but would never start. Then about 2 weeks ago trying it out again the lights would just flash. So I replaced the batteries in the remote thinking that was the problem but still not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I think that’s it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/27/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello

this sounds like the security system has gotten a bit overactive

I'd 1st try doing reset of the car by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

then try running through this re-sync procedure:

. The vehicle should be in the following condition-
A. The key is NOT in-
serted in the ignition,
B. The driver's door IS open,
C. The driver’s door is
UNLOCKED.

2. Insert the Key into the ignition switch and then pull it out.

3. Press the Master Door Lock Switch 5 times from Lock to Unlock.

4. Close the Driver's door then open it.

5. Repeat step #3.

6. Now select the mode by inserting the key into the Ignition Switch and turning it to the "Run" or "On" position. The programming mode is determined by the amount of times you go from “key off” to the "key on" position and back before pulling the key out.

A. 1 time is the "Add" mode. This is used only on some models and it allows you to add a remote to the already existing remotes. The ECU confirms this by locking and unlocking the door locks automatically after you remove the key.

B. 2 times is the second mode which will erase all previously programmed remotes and allow you to program new ones. The ECU confirms this mode by locking and unlocking the door locks twice after you remove the key

C. 3 times is the third mode which tells you how many remotes are already programmed to the ECU. It confirms this locking and unlocking the door locks the amount of times applicable to the remotes coded. If no remotes are programmed then the ECU locks and unlocks the door locks 5 times. The ECU will hold up to 4 remotes at any one time.

7. Press the Lock and Unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1.5 sec and then press either button by itself for 1 sec.

8. The ECU will perform the Lock/Unlock automatically to confirm that the 1st remote is stored by the ECU. Repeat step 7 immediately with another remote and continue until all remotes are registered.

9. Shut the driver’s door and try all remotes.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt