Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My speedometer and tachometer intermittently drop to zero…

Customer Question
My speedometer and tachometer...

My speedometer and tachometer intermittently drop to zero (possibly lose power) at the same time the brake and ABS lights illuminate and the outside air temp shows E. Is there a fuse in common with all these items, or something else that may be causing this problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Both lights are on and the vehicle is a 2007 Camry

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have looked at wiring diagrams with no luck in figuring if there is a common source. I have checked fuses which look like they are still good, but I have not been able to determine if there is one fuse for all the items or another problem like a short.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/27/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. May I have the engine size of the vehicle, please, so that I can supply information specific for your vehicle?

4 cylinder

Although, The message for the speedometer and tachometer comes for the skid control unit. The skid control unit is the module for the ABS. The issue that you are having could be due to

Thank you..

... could be due to a faulty speed sensor or the skid module itself maybe failing. Just a moment, please.

Here, I am attaching description and operation of the speedometer and the ABS, to give you a clear understanding.

Here, I am attaching information on the circuits and probable causes.

The issue that you are having could be due to a faulty wheel speed sensor, the skid module, or the combination meter. In order to determine the area of concern, the vehicle will need to be scanned and the trouble codes retrieved. The codes that are retrieved will direct you to the area of concern.

Thanks

Anytime. You are very welcome.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Just as a reminder, please, do not forget to rate the service. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician