Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a toyota 2009 tacoma brake issue message" System

Customer Question
I have a toyota...

I have a toyota 2009 tacoma brake issue message " System detected improper connection of Parking Brake Lead. Please check your configuration for safety . Please see operation manual for more information regarding safe operation".

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/27/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Where is this message being displayed?

I can see your post. Just for your reference. Since The vehicle has only 66000 miles only. I brought the vehicle when it has 28,000 mile. I have not done any major brake job nor replacement other then brake job about 1.5 year ago. This message just appear about 4 days or a 1 week ago , there is no leaks or sound to hear or noticeable. . The vehicle is still drive fine and brake works fine. I'm not sure if something is actual wrong or just got loosen up. I did take to hunting twice in the mountain within 3 weeks. I believe that is when I started seeing the message. What I want to know is if you can show me a video clip where I can go check the parking brake lead connection out to see if anything is loosen up or so.

To tell you the truth I have never seen or heard of such a message in my 35+ yrs with Toyota , the only electrical switches or hook ups to emergency brakes I know of are on the actuator themselves , and that is either on the pedal mechanism for automatic vehicles or the shaft of pull out lever for the standard , where do you see this message displayed? I even checked our shop manual as well, your not talking about the red or orange light on the dash that looks like brake shoes are you

No Peter not the brake shoes. When I brought the Truck over a little 2 years ago. The Radio has been replace with a more advance radio that can play movie video. I guess the radio is hook up to the truck computer as well to. I just noticing the message appearing on the radio screen about 1 week or over a week ago . When I get in to the truck to drive and turn on the radio listening to music , then like 15 minutes or so , the message appear on the screen. While this is happening the radio is still playing music. If I don't press ok, it will stay like that until I turn off the truck engine. If I do press ok, it will go away and then it will return again within certain minutes. I haven't seen this message before, it's my first time to. However, my truck emergency bake is a pull out handle right underneath the dashboard above your left foot as you are sitting in the truck. I did used the emergency brake once or twice while hunting, about 2 weeks ago, just about when the brake message appeared. However, in the past I have use the emergency brake before many time but not thing has happen ( message).

I have no clue as I have never seen a radio that can pick up brake codes or messages, If it can they must have installed sensors to do so or spliced into the wiring some where. All I know there are three spots it may pick up a signal [1] the brake light switch, [2] the emergency brake switch and the brake fluid light switch which is located on the master cylinder. Now considering what it is supposed to read and inform you That you may have to either read the manual for that unit or contact the manufacturer as this is not an OME accessory . What you could check is the fluid level in the master cylinder and top it up if need. other then that not knowing that particular unit I cannot help you further. If you wish I can pass you on to another expert who may be familiar with such a unit.

Thank you. I will proceed further my research.

good luck

Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

This coudl be happening due to an internal failure in the radio or it may actually be a wiring issue. The unit likely has a wire connected to the emergency brake switch circuit and it needs to see input on this circuit to only allow the playing of video while the vehicle is parked since it's illegal to have video playing in a front seat while a vehicle is moving. Someone may have connected this wire directly to ground to try to circumvent the safety feature.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.