Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1994 Toyota Camry, replaced head gasket and timing belt,

Customer Question
1994 Toyota Camry, replaced...

1994 Toyota Camry, replaced head gasket and timing belt, note, marked tdc at crank and also lined up timing marks on cam before work. Now car cranks and floods cylinders with fuel, no start. lots of spark. Not sure what to do?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

286348km on this second belt, found it to be cracked and brittle, wanted to change before it broke and messed up engine valves.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, well I have repeatedly made sure all my markings are all lining up including the one I added to the distributor to ensure it is firing at the #1 spark plug. Ensured that the belt had not skipped a tooth at cam shaft, checked for spark and have lots. Can't get my head around why cylinders keep flooding. Have tried to start in flood mode with accelerator fully depressed while cranking to no avail.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Ya! Do you have any C4 for sale. LOL

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/27/2017
Toyota Mechanic: KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 7 months ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

What size engine does your car have in it?

2.2 Lt.

Have you run a compression test yet on all 4 cylinders?

The car was running when I began this task and no I do not own a compression tester.

Why did you replace the head gasket?

While doing and oil change I observed a severe oil leak coming from the head at back of the engine, when I removed the head gasket the gasket showed evidence of failure where oil gallery channel between head and block meet. cleaned both surfaces and reinstalled with no issues until time to start engine, cranks with no issue, has lots of spark but just keeps flooding, spent 8 hours yesterday trying to dry and evaluate problem to no results.
I also changed out the timing belt at the same time as I found it to be cracked and brittle and was doing preventative maintenance. Yes I ensured all timing marks were in place before removal of the belt.

At this point you will need to start by doing a compression test. You can rent a tester form your local auto parts stores like advance or oreilly's and when you take it back they will give you all your money back. You will also want to double check the ground wires that bolt up to the back side of the intake to make sure they are good and tightly bolted to a clean surface.

I have searched the entire engine compartment for any broken wires or pinched wires. Have double checked that all electrical connectors are connected properly.
Question, does this particular model of Camry have an anti theft control module that may have been activated to prevent theft of vehicle? It should also be noted that I had disconnected the positive post of the battery before conducting repairs.

If you had tripped the anti theft system, you would not be getting any fuel to the cylinders.

What should the compression of each cylinder be at?
Ok thanks, ***** ***** worry then.
What does compression have to do with flooding of the cylinders?

If there is not enough compression, the spark from the plug will not be able to burn the fuel. On this engine it should be around 150 psi on all 4 cylinders, and no more then 10 psi difference between any two cylinders.

Can you pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator and see if any furl is on the vacuum line please?

Ok I guess I will have to bite the bullet and go buy one.
Will I be able to contact you tomorrow with these answers?
If there is fuel in the vacuum line what does that mean?

The fuel pressure regulator is mounted to the fuel rail, if the regulator is bad and leaking, then fuel fill flow through the regulator and into the vacuum line, and then into the intake. If you pull the vacuum line off of the regulator, it should be dry, if there is fuel in the vacuum line then the regulator will need to be replaced. And yes, I will be online most all day today and tomorrow. So just come back to this chat page and we can pick up from here.

Ok, Thanks a bunch. Where about are you located?

Tennessee.

Wow, I'm in Bowden Alberta, Canada. Had another chinook day here and all our snow is melting away. only about 3 inches on the ground today compared to about 6 inches 3 days ago. Chinooks are a warm wind out of the west that bring warm air up from California.
Well have a great night and I will get back to you.
Cheers

Chat with you tomorrow.

Hey curiosity killed the cat, I checked the vacuum line and it was dry, so that rules out the regulator.
I will do compression test tomorrow.
Cheers

Make sure to wright down each cylinder pressure, so I can see exactly what they where and will know where to go from the test results. chat with you tomorrow.