Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lost all power to cluster abs and engine light came on dash…

Customer Question
Lost all power to...

Lost all power to cluster abs and engine light came on dash revs stuck at 1000 does not rev at all and no power to obd

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

07 hilux sr5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked all fuses and relays i also have a small obd tool but there is no power at the obd fuse

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Im a mechanic my self

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/26/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

hello, thanks for posting, I will try to help you with this, what country are you in, is it right hand drive or left?

Was the truck brought to you like this or for something else,?

Its rhd in Australia its my personal car spoken with the toyota dealership nearby they think possible moisture in a sensor

I​t's going to be difficult to diagnose without getting some codes from the computer.

How did this come about? Was it exposed to water/flooding? A little history may help.

No flooding i was driving to work then all of a sudden radio cut off and revs stayed at 1000 in limp mode both engine light came up and abs light
I can't scan for codes i have a small obd tool but there is no power to obd fuse at all

I will look at a diagram and see if I can make some sense of this.

D​oes the stop light fuse have voltage to it?

The fuse has no power to it

It gets the voltage from the same source as the obd fuse, check the 120A alternator fuse. make sure it is not cracked or loose in the socket.

Could i get a location on the alternator fuse it is not in the engine bay fuse box

Sorry, I don't have the exact diagram for the hi lux but I have the one for the 4 runner here in the US it is essentially the same, if it doesn't have a separate 120A fuse then it is included in the oblong multifuse assembly in the fuse box. It sounds to me like the problem is there.

i have found that it has blown 100amp i tried to bridge it but it seems to arc out what could be the cause of this and how could i fix it

Well, there is a short somewhere, do you have a wiring diagram for it? The 100A fuse powers up a lot of other circuits so it's going to take some time to trace where the short has developed. The best way to do this is to get an 80-100 A circuit breaker which rests automatically, put it in where the fuse goes and then start by removing some of the relays under the hood to see when the short circuit stops, I suppose it has the short without turning the key on is this correct or only when the key is on?

It happened whilst driving ill have to figure it out thanks for that. The fuse link itself is that something that can be bought separately or need whole thing?

The fuse assembly is available from the dealer, it is bolted in with a couple of small bolts, you may have to open the fuse box up on the bottom.

I already pulled it out

OK, be sure the short circuit is fixed before putting in a new one, check with you ohm meter for a short to ground, if the other end terminal is grounded just use the ohm meter to find the short, try removing the 60A AM1 fuse, it powers up the ignition switch.

I bridged the fuse with a thin wire with the ignition off and it just blew it

Try removing the 50A AM1 fuse.

A​lso try removing the 50A J/B fuse, the short is on one of those circuits, the white/blue wire from the AM1 fuse goes to the ignition switch, the problem is before the switch