Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Sliding doors arent working. Sienna 2007. Fixing myself.

Customer Question
Sliding doors arent working ...

Sliding doors arent working

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

Sienna 2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, fixing myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Buttons dont do anything almost like there is no power to the doors.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

ok

Did you check the disable switch on the dash if it is in on or off mode? also do the doors try to move at all ?

I did check the disable switch on the dash. That switch is depressed, so it is not in the orange state.
The doors do not try to move at all.

Have you tried it in the other position?

What happens is that the little cylinder motor on the interior of the door makes a sound like it is trying to do something on both doors. But both cables are detached. Nothing beyond that happens.

Aw that's different, they are getting power? so they act like they want to open like giving a grunt and sit there ? Is this sounds like whats happening? Can you manually open them?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

no, the cylinder motors engage, door doesnt move at all, but since those wires arent connected, the motors just turn. The actuators dont do anything for some reason. I know Ive got to fix the cables, but why the actuators arent turning, i dont know.
wires = small gauge cables

what happens when you push the inmdividual switches on the inside of each sliding door for the unlock switch?

Not sure i understand the question. But all the switches have the same behavior. The cylinder motors connected (should be but are not connected) to the low gauge cables makes a noise and and vibrates a bit. Seems to be turning inside, although cannot tell, and so assume something might happen if those cables were actually connected.

Ok can you manually open the doors

doors open manually.

I have worked on many of these so just bare with me. the door lock button on the master switch is not in lock position?

It is most likely the unlock actuators themselves as they are very weak and we have replaced many, the brushes tend to go in them.

If your intending replacing the cables you may as well wait and do these at the same time as you have to get into the same area to do them .

Your talking about 3-4 hrs per door

Is there any more info you would like ?

door lock is not in lock position, no.
thing is im not getting voltage on the unlock actuators

Oh you have the panels off and checking the actuator connectors and no voltage? If so I can get our wiring diagrams and go over them with you if you wish.

OK
If the cables dont engage, will the actuators also not engage. In other words do the cables starting being pulled trigger the actuators for the unlock?
Is there a fuse which controls these things? The motors stopped turning now at all when i push the buttons.
I re-seated the actuator cable, and the unlock mechanism started working on one of the doors. After a few tries now, neither door is even engaging the cable motor. Assuming i must have burnt a fuse.
Peter - still there?
Its been 20 minutes, any thoughts?
Coming up on 30 minutes since your last response.
Actually we are at 38 minutes since your last response now.

sorry sight troubles that is posible

I think ayt this time we need the wiring diagram, so if you can be patient I can get that for tomorrow so we can continue

ok, wanted to make sure i hadnt lost you.

nope my wife tries to though . So is tomorrow ok?

Sure, tomorrow works. Thanks.

ok Talk to you then G/N