Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have a 2008 fj and the 4wd will not engage, all fuses good,

Customer Question
Have a 2008 fj...

Have a 2008 fj and the 4wd will not engage, all fuses good, replaced the add unit. looking for what else to check?

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Toyota?

Fj cruiser

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your FJ Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked all fuses on the drivers side fuse panel and replaced the ADD unit on the front diff

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/25/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

There is a 4WD fuse in the fuse panel on the inside, be sure it has voltage to it, this fuse powers the 4WD ECU,. the ecu controls the front actuator, the 4wd ecu also controls the transfer case actuator.

A common problem is that the actuator may get stuck in the transfer case due to not being used for a long time, might this be the case?

Check the wiring going to the transfer case for any damage or corroded connections are insulation damage. Have someone engage 4x4 and listen at the transfer case if the actuator can be heard moving, you should hear it engage, if there is an indication that it may be stuck it can be freed up in some cases using a rubber mallet and tapping on the case.

When it's put in 4x4 do any of the indicator lights light up? Do you get the 4x4 light either hi or Lo? Does the VSC light turn on? You may have to drive it a few yards before any turn on and another thing, does the rear diff light lock work when the switch is pushed?

Fuse is good, got voltage on both sides. No actuator action. No indicating lites at all related to 4wd or VSC. Rear diff light goes on when switch is pushed but light is not on solid it blinks on and off. Could the 4WD ECU be faulty?
Fyi, I replaced the front diff ADD unit with a new genuine toyota unit yesterday.

Thanks for the reply

The 4x4 system has self diagnostic abilities so I think it would be best to have a diagnostic computer connected that can access the system to check for any codes that may be stored then go from there.

Ok, i have an OBDII reader. Will that read the 4WD ECU?

Some of them will, the real inexpensive ones only read engine codes, don't know if this one will you should see a menu that shows the different systems it can check.