Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Starts, idles for about 5 seconds, then becomes very eratic…

Customer Question
Starts, idles for about...

Starts, idles for about 5 seconds, then becomes very eratic revving up and down then stalls, then hard to restart. Have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel damper

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

External

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

1989 land cruiser

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Land Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

My son is

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/25/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 4 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

how does it drive ,other erratic idle does run good down the road ?

is there a check engine light on ?

did you check for vacuum leaks, pulled TB body and inspect and clean for carbon build up causing the plate to stick ?

what is the mileage on it now ,and what kind tune up been doing to it ,ignition wise if any

lets start here and we go from there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

New spark plugs. 118000 miles. It sat for 10 months. Shortly after first start the fuel pump went out. Replaced that, filter and damper.
Vehicle will not stay running to drive it.

if you spray starting fluid in the tb body will run for few seconds and dies and if you keep spraying does stay running

do you have fuel pressure test gauge ,what is the pressure at the rail

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat