Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Is some one there’s? 2010 prius. Trying to fix it myself:).

Customer Question
Hello is some one...

Hello is some one there’s?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2010 prius

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix it myself:). The car won’t start. Yesterday it would turn the accessories on but then the dash light would fade away like low battery. Tried to jump it. Nothing. This morning it is totally dead. Replaced battery. Nothing. Checked 140amp fuse on positive terminal in rear battery. It’s fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

The rear fuse seems ok. The front fuses also seem ok but I don’t know how to check all of them. Are there certain ones I should focus on?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that’s it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
Hello?
11/24/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello and thanks for posting

Do you happen to have a 12 volt test light or a voltmer?

I dont
There is a new battery in the Prius now. Nothing turns on. Even the doors and trunk are offline.

The best I can do then is to recommend replacing the multifuse link, there may be some blown out segments in there, it's an oblong fuse assembly with a clear cover on it, I wanted to confirm that there is voltage going to it .

Ok. I will go out and get a voltmeter. Where should I use the voltmeter? Right on the battery?
Where exactly is the multifuse link located?

In the fuse box under the hood.

That long strip with the nut on the end is the fuse link

I purchased a circuit tester. Where would you like me to test? The battery? I will check for the multifuse link in the meantime.
I have been trying to get the circuit tester to light up to no avail. I tried the front and back terminals of the car. Do I not have a good ground?

y​es that's the fuse, I don't think it's a loss of ground I think it's a loss of voltage between the battery in the rear and the front fuse box or that fuse is blown . Verify the voltmeter is working by connecting it directly to the battery /

Just to clarify, I don’t have a voltmeter. I have a circuit tester so it just lights up when I close a circuit. I can’t get it to light up on the front or rear terminals. I have connected it to the pos and neg terminals in the rear with no result. I have also tried various other grounds to no effect. However, I can get the circuit tester work very easily on my wife’s car.

Have you checked the ground connection at the battery in the rear?

How do I do that? I have connected the circuit tester to both the pos and neg terminals. Nothing happened.

There is a ground cable from the negative post connected to the body.

Are you talking about the cable that is bolted into the negative terminal?

Yes, it has to be connected to ground. Is it bolted to a body ground?

Right now it’s bolted to the battery and then it goes somewhere out of sight.
I just checked and yes the wire going from the battery is bolted into the car

That long fuse in the front, can you remove the cover and look inside?

The one under the red cover? Yes. I read an earlier troubleshooting thread on this site, so I checked that fuse already. It seems intact. It is still whole and not broken

I,m sorry but I'm going to have to opt out, hopefully another expert will read this and have an answer for you besides taking it in and having it checked using diagnostic tools that the prius requires.

That is most unfortunate. I will keep my eye out for another reply hopefully.
Toyota Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen years of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Do you still need assistance? Let me know :).

Thank you for responding Michael. We called AAA and got it figured out. :).

Sounds good, do not hesitate to come back if you need additional help :)