Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2008 Tacoma cranks but won’t start. Fuel is 3/4 full.

Customer Question
My 2008 Tacoma cranks...

My 2008 Tacoma cranks but won’t start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

Fuel is 3/4 full. Could fuel pump relay be faulty?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’m in a small town in Baja so I need to try as much on my own. I read that there’s an immobilizer in Tacoma. Trying to pull relay to check that

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can’t think of anything. Plugs are new

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/24/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 5 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

H​ello, it's going to be a little difficult to diagnose this unless you have a way to scan the computer for codes? The immobilizer is a possible issue, are you using the same key that started it before? Do you have anything like a test light or voltmeter?

I tried different keys but no change. I did at one point open the truck by reaching in through an open window and toggling unlock button. Not sure if that has an effect on immobilizer. No diagnostic tools.

That won't have an effect on the engine immobilizer but it can if it has a security alarm system, do you have a remote and does it have the Toyota logo on it with a red button on the back?

I do

How many keys do you have and do they look the same?

We have 2 keys. One black that is on chain with Toyota remote and another gray key by itself

Ok, both are transponder keys and both should work, how did this no start come about? did it die while driving or just after being parked?

We parked it overnight and tried to start it mid day on 75-80 degree day. Usually fires immediately. New plugs 6000 miles ago

When you turn the key on and all the dash lights turn on does the security light blink?

No

It's not a security issue then. Try to put some gas directly into the intake, remove the hose from the throttle body and put a dew ounces directly in by pushing the throttle plate open, see if there is any response from the engine.i

Got to go offline for about 2 hours, will check back.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician