Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I own a 2013 Prius and for the past week, the check engine…

Hello. I own a...

Hello. I own a 2013 Prius and for the past week, the check engine light will come on sporadically, as well as the engine shakes (usually right after startup or idling at a stoplight) for about 10-15 seconds and then stops. It only does this once or twice a day, if it happens at all, but it's alarming so I was trying to see what the cause might be before taking it in after the holidays.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It does not blink. It stays on when it's on, but only comes on occasionally and not necessarily when it's shaking

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't been using it much this week, so I was going to take it into a Toyota dealer after the holidays, but was concerned about driving it this weekend.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

In August I slightly rear-ended someone and had it fixed where they replaced my bumper and grill on my car. This did not happen before, but it didn't happen until a month or so after it was fixed. Not sure if that might be related, but worth mentioning.

11/23/2017
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Toyota Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Great. Thank you.

The best thing you can do is to have the codes checked to get an idea of what could be causing the check engine light. If you bring it to a dealer they will most definitely check for what codes are stored. WIth that said, if the engine is shaking when at a stop it is likely that an ignition coil on the engine is bad.

Do you have any more questions on your check engine light being on?

No this has been helpful. Thank you very much.

Your welcome. Please take a second to rate my assistance with the stars above. Also note that even after rating, the chat will remain open so if you have any follow up questions you can bookmark this page and come back. Thanks.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Toyota Technician