Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The battery is good but the engine won't start. SOUNDS like…

Customer Question
The battery is good...

The battery is good but the engine won't start. SOUNDS like the starter but we've eliminated that as the culprit (as well as replacing the shocks)

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Everything is clean under the hood

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

We think it MIGHT have something to do with the security sysem

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Toyota?

9 Sienna

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

'99

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We've conferred with experienced mechanics, my husband & father, as well as a friend who is an electrician

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/22/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

does the engine crank over but not fire up? does it fire up for a split second and then die? Is the security light on the dash flashing when the key is inserted and turned on?

It cranks but doesn't turn over. From past experiences I thought naybe it was the starter but it's been eliminated as the cause

T​hanks, so the engine spins with the starter but doesn't, Is there a flashing light anywhere on the dash? Did the engine stop while driving or just not start after being parked?

It doesn't die, just doesn't fire up at all
Didn't start after being parked
I didn't notice anything abnormal on the dash

T​hanks, I'm trying to get some ides what caused this, is there a flashing red light anywhere on the dash? Do you have a remote for the alarm?

It has a Toyota RS3000 security system & we are wondering if that might have anything to do with it?
I do have a remote but we have left it untouched on a tall shelf out of arm's reach since we bought it (August) as the guy we bought from said the system can be finicky & we didn't want to set it off

t​hen there should be a red LED on the desh or just below the dash on a bracket

T​he RS3000 system does not keep the starter from operating so I'm going to have to rule that out. Are you using the same key that always started it before this happened.?

I just msgd hubby to find out if it's a problem to attempt to start van as I am not sure at this point what's going on under the hood & I don't want to cause further damage
38; no. I am using my key (the most used) atm & just turning it to accessory it makes a low growl/wind kinda sound behind dash

I understand, if someone else wishes to continue with me please let me know, at this point I'm not sure either but it sounds like there are a few things that need to be checked on the engine., That sounds you mentioned may be due to a low 12 volt battery.

All of my dash lights & radio work. Would a low battery still enable those but b not enuf to start?
That snd actually happems when key is in the "on" position, not acc

yes the starter needs a lot more current from the battery.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician