Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

On my 2003 Toyota Avalon 3.0l it shows a P0330 for knock…

Customer Question
On my 2003 Toyota Avalon...
On my 2003 Toyota Avalon 3.0l it shows a P0330 for knock sensor 2 Circuit. I heard that in these it’s more likely a burnt wire. Can you provide procedures for testing resistance to sensors to test wires? Anything asleep you can recommend before buying a $170 sensor? Attached 3 pics
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/22/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 5 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting your question

The knock sensor itself is rarely the problem, there are actually two sensors on this engine, one for each cylinder head designated as bank one and bank two, both are located below the intake manifold, to replace them the manifold must be removed, most of the time the time the problem is too much resistance or a short or open circuit due to rodents that may have entered the engine compartment, this would be the first thing to check. A knock sensor code can also be set by the engine actually knocking/pinging due to a fuel mixture being to lean. In the last picture the long term fuel trim is at over 30%, there is a problem there, it should be closer to the short fuel trim (SFT) for cylinder bank1,however the code you are getting is for bank two .Are there any other? Misfire, air fuel ratio sensor, oxygen sensor etc?

I can look up the resistance check for you and get back to you shortly

No other codes. Okay thanks, ***** ***** you tell me where you’d start like...step 1,2,3 etc?

The factory repair manual recommends using a diagnostic computer to check the signals from the sensors, I'm going to attach a copy, you can test continuity from the connector to the sensors but this would require removing the manifold just to do that, be right back

T​he first step is to visually check the wiring, the connector mentioned in the diagram is just above the intake manifold at the center of the front of the engine. Please use the diagram to locate the pin connectors on the connector, let me know if you have any questions about this so far.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician