Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Car starts but we have a miss in one cylinder. Lights come…

Customer Question
Car starts but we...

Car starts but we have a miss in one cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes lights come on battery is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2001 Toyota corolla

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and we took valve cover off and we have no compression on one cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What else should we try to make sure the motor is still good

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/21/2017
Toyota Mechanic: KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 months ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

The first thing to do is check and see if any of the rocker arms have to much movement. You may have a valve that is sticking open just a little bit. Bring that cylinder up on a compression stroke and check the valve lash for all 4 valves. Let me know what the valve lash is and lets see if it is just a valve that is held open.