Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 2002 Toyota Celica GTS 5 speed manual and when I…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Toyota Celica GTS 5 speed manual and when I try to crank it, it's like it didn't realize inn pushing the clutch in... asset a few tries or hold the key to start for a few seconds she will crank up

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No trouble shifting or loss if pressure or anything. Just when I try to crank it. And sometimes it does just fine and cranks straight up

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Celica yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet... I believe it may be the starter but I don't want to start throwing a lot of money into something without actually knowing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope that's it

11/20/2017
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When it does not crank to start, do you hear a single click noise from under the hood?

no it's literally like I'm not even pressing the clutch even though I have to the floor... My battery is good because I tried cranking it with the lights on and they don't even dim

If the lights do not dim, and the clutch switch is good, I suspect you have worn starter solenoid contacts. Regarding the clutch pedal....Do you have extra floor mats, or, is the existing floor mat under where the clutch pedal pushes down against the floor? I have noted many times that fllor mats keep the clutch pedal too high/it does not go down far enough to allow the clutch switch contacts to engage. Please advise of the floor mat issue I speak of.

I'll check the mat but the sweet spots about halfway through and I have no problem shifting while driving

The mat issue will not compromise the shifting, but it will cause the starter circuit to be corrupted.

But if the mat doesn't fix it you suggest it starter solenoid and to just replace starter

Replacement of the contacts is not that difficult, but, on a 2002 vehicle (if the starter is original) I would replace the starter.

I'm not sure if I only had the car for a month so I appreciate the help I can't guarantee you that Mat will fix that the one time or not if that's not I appreciate you confirming that it's the started

You are very welcome. Glad to help.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert