Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2.4 engine surging on idle and under load driving. 2.4

Customer Question
2.4 engine surging on...

2.4 engine surging on idle and under load driving

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

2.4 166000 2005 highlander

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?

New plugs, cleaned pvc valve, disconnected exhaust and drove with same problem, compression test ok, new rear o2 sensor. no codes. vacuum is steady. unplugged brake booster and plugged vacuum and same problem

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/20/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Are you getting a check engine light on?

No not even pending

Ok have you checked fuel pressure in the failure condition and also checked maf signals and clean it?

I put new plugs in. New downstream ox sensor.
Compression. Was around 180 in all cylinders. Disconnected brake booster and plugged vacuum end and same result. Cleaned pvc valve. Disconnected exhaust, front cat looks good and I also drove it disconnected and same result. All vacuum and intake tube looks good. Cleaned map sensor. Plugs looked good when I remove them. There is a lot of air coming out of oil fill cap though. Don’t know if that is normal for this car. I have a action cp9180 scanner for real time data if that helps

you dont want a lot of air coming out of the oil cap, I would monitor fuel pressure first of that ok, do a head gasket test, if thats ok would start checking timing components like your vvt solenoid for debris

Checked VVT out of the truck and was clean and worked with 12 volts attached. dry Compression test all cylinders were around 180. I have not checked fuel pressure since i have to update my tool from GM. But the Throttle body is noisy and makes a lot of noise when it opens and closes. I attached a video of it.
I read in all data diy that if it makes friction noises replace it.
But I don't know if it is actually is causing the surge at idle and under load.
thanks john

that dosent sound that bad, is there a way you can slowly open the throttle plate and monitor the voltage to see any irregularities?