Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2013 corolla. when i turn key to start engine it won't turn…

Customer Question
2013 corolla. when...

2013 corolla. when i turn key to start engine it won't turn over. I release the key key and it returns to on position but keeps trying to start on its own. Engine never starts

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Key not damaged. the steering wheel will turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

I usually fix most problems with my cars. I just started looking into the problem. I thought maybe it was going to be a fuel issue (filter?) but the whole letting the key go and it still wanted to try to start threw me a bit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The maintenance required light had been on for a while, but didnt notice any operational issues till it wouldn't start

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/20/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

What you describe sounds like a fuel pump issue. The letting the key go thing is normal on this car. It is supposed to try starting on it's own for about the thirty seconds or so.

When you first turn the key to the run position can you hear a faint buzz from the fuel tank area?

Also, do you have any starting fluid or brake cleaner spray?

I don't hear a faint buzz. I do have brake cleaner

Try removing the air filter duct and spray brake cleaner down the duct into the intake. Not a ton, just maybe a second and a half spray. Then put the duct back in place and try starting it. If it starts and runs for a few seconds then the fuel pump is most likely bad; especially since you can't hear it buzz.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician