Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My engine light came on, no but the oil is always low I

Customer Question
My engine light came...

My engine light came on

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

No but the oil is always low I think I put the wrong grade of oil in the engine on friday I put 5/20 in

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2009 LE Toyota Camry 4 Cyclinder. The engine light only flashed then it went off

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything so far I was going to buy some oil but I dont know the correct grade

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ron Z., - Toyota Tech - replied 7 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Are you experiencing any engine performance symptoms like rough idle or lack of power?

Nope

Ok. Great. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!
Ok. Using the wrong engine oil "can" affect the parts and sensors in the Variable Valve timing system. However, when this is the case, it usually presents with symptoms. And, the 5W-20 is the correct engine oil for this vehicle. So, if you are not experiencing any symptoms, I'd lean more towards the Engine Light being related to the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System. Very commonly, this could be a faulty, loose or missing fuel cap or even putting fuel in while the vehicle is running can set the light. Check the underside of the fuel cap for any cracks or signs of defects that may keep the cap from sealing correctly. If there are any doubts about the inspection of the cap, replace it. Keep in mind, you will need a cap that meets OE Specs. Those "universal" or "locking" fuel caps sold at after market parts stores do not meet OE specs, and will not seal the system correctly. If you are certain the cap is good, then at this point, we'll need the Diagnostic Trouble Codes scanned from the on-board computer. These p-codes are what is used as a "starting point" for the diagnosis and will tell which part/sensor, in which system, has the fault. . You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc). Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

..

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.