Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Leaking oil about 1 qt per 1k already changed crankshaft

seal no visible oil from...
Leaking oil about 1 qt per 1k already changed crankshaft seal no visible oil from bottom.
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: Water pump was changed, v belt changed.
JA: What is the model/year of your Toyota?
Customer: 2004 Camry le
JA: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Been to a repair shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just some ideas what it could be
11/20/2017
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder engine? Do you see any external leaks?

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
V4 last visual inspection some oil residue from oil pan but novisual drips from the bottom floor
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
One sec getting online payment exception
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Try again plz

I am trying the call but not going through can we text? I can still give you the results you seek.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Sound good

Sorry about that , first time for everything. any way here I go with the explanation.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Waiting for your response

on certain models of 4 cylinders we have had oil ring problems , they put out a bulletin on this issue and changed the style of oil control rings from a one piece to a 3 piece style that controls oil consumption much better.

You can try to contact Toyota and see if they would help doing this but I can't guarantee anything. But I can give you some ideas to slow it down if you wish or the only other alternative is a motor job.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
It’s an le, so it’s most likely stuck oil ring. It’s a 04 so I’m not sure if the bulletin covered that year.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Any ideas to slow it down? Seefoam? Lucus oil stabilizer?

It's not funny because they new about this for years using that type of ring set up, I am a Toyota master tech and baffled why they used that type. So would you like me to give you some things you can do to slow this down to a dull roar?

ok here we go

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Kk

replace the PCV valve to start, do a engine oil flush, this will clean and free up all the rings so they can at least do a better job. use a high mileage oil blend, any good name brand will do, And yes use the Lucas oil stabilizer . Substitute 1 liter of it for one liter oil; when refilling.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Got it what oil flush would recommend? Seafoam
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Excellent!

yes sea foam is good, use as directed, run in the old oil for about 15 - 20 min then change oil as normal.

what viscosity of oil are you using now? what is the temp where u live?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I should ask a master tech before getting my next car to see if there’s any bulletins out. 2014-2016 camrys
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
5/30 mobile one. Iowa cold winter 15-30’s mild summer.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
High mileage version
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
20-30 cold start in the morning

ok stick with that for winter and one higher viscosity ratting in summer. Anything else I can do for you?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
5-40 one the summer?

10/40

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Great that answers my questions thank you. Any closing thought?

I think a lot of some of the stupid things I have see manufactures have done in my being in the trade this long and wonder how they stay in business , and it is usually after people get pissed they address the problems ,and guess what , it's us little technicians that get caught in the middle trying to solve them .

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The car started leaking at 180k so I should trade up before 120k or less. But it had a good run. I hear u on the doing nothing until someone gets pissed. I’d say well worth chatting with you and thanks again!

You too and good luck

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician