Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2005 Toyota Sienna won't start. When I turn the ignition…

Customer Question
My 2005 Toyota Sienna...

My 2005 Toyota Sienna won't start. When I turn the ignition I hear the fuel pump hum but engine doesn't turn over. I used jumper cables to connect to another car (just in case) but no change. The reverse lights work when I put the transmission into reverse and the gear indicator on the dash correctly reflect what gear it is in so I think the P/N safety switch is working. I pulled the starter relay out and it is working. Brake lights are working. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes, some of them. I'm not sure which ones to check.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, i am trying to fix it myself. I checked the fuses labeled IGN and TAIL in addition to checking the starter relay.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There appears to be no electrical I issues (all dash lights appeared to be working).

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/20/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Have you checked for poer at the starter solenoid for power? Have you had the battery checked?

I appreciate your help. I will check the starter solenoid as soon as I can (this afternoon). The battery was replaced less than 1 year ago so I do not think that is the problem. But I will check its voltage level.

Great let me know what you find and we can take it from there

I unplugged the starter solenoid and checked the voltage at the harness. While the ignition was turned, it had voltage.Then I checked voltage across the battery. Only 11.98 so I think that is the problem. (Not sure why jumping from my other car didn't start it up though.)I connected my charging/ starter kit to the battery and I was able to start the car right up. I then unplugged the charger and let the car run for about 15 minutes and then drove around the block.As soon as I stopped and turned off the car, I tried to start it again but it did not start. It did the same thing as before (no crank at all). I checked the voltage across the battery and it was 12.9 -- so should be high enough, right?
I checked the battery voltage again after about 30 minutes and it's at 12.6.

when your trying to start it what does the voltage read then? also did you check for voltage at the solenoid wire?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

The voltage dropped to around 12.2 while the key was turned (but there were no cranking at all still)
there was voltage at the solenoid wire during ignition.
I just tried to start it again while my charger/ starter kit is plugged in and it still did not crank, so maybe it's not the battery.

what we need to check is the contact points for the ground on the end of the ground cables , check the ground cable from th e battery to the end for resistance with an ohm meter.

Which ground cable should I check? Just to clarify, you are saying to check continuity between (1) the negative terminal on the battery and (2) some grounding point?

yes , disconnect the neg clamp on the battery , there will be two ground points for that cable. one to body the other usually on the top of the bell housing under the air filter box.

Okay, I checked where the ground cable connects to the body and measured resistance. It was .1 ohms (basically as low as the voltmeter goes). I'm attaching a picture to show where I measured (see red arrow).Im having trouble finding the point below the air filter. Do I need to remove the box to get to it?

nice picture, yes under the air filter box just follow the black cable.

do I need to remove the filter box?

Those pictures are great and pointed something out that needs addressing before we proceed. replace the battery as I see a lot of corrosion and acid build up around it. That battery is sukfating, get it out and clean around it with baking soda and warm water, then treat those areas . I will send you some products shortly today to use. Also when doing those tests remove the grond cable ends to do so and clean under thee contact points.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician