Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

When foot is off the pedal & slowing down, rmps slow &

Customer Question
When foot is off...

When foot is off the pedal & slowing down, rmps slow & engine dies. Show O2 sensor faults. Replace all 4. Not showing any faults. But, engine still dies when slowing down. Have to keep foot on the accelerator to keep rpms up while braking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Yes. No more O2 sensor faults.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2000 Tundra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Changed the TPS a couple of years ago when the same thing was happening. That helped.Symptoms started again a couple of months ago. But, no TPS fault. shows up. Tried adjusting the throttle cable helped for a while. Tried disconnecting the battery cable after replacing the O2 sensors to see if the computer would reboot today. Problem got worse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Some vacuum hoses look a little worn out. Wondering if air flow might be a problem

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/20/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Have you got a vacuum gauge to check manifold vacuum? Also you can spray carb cleaner around any intake gaskets and hoses , watching the tach for fluctuations.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.