Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It won't start. but when i push the cancel clutch start

Customer Question
It won't start. but...

It won't start. but when i push the cancel clutch start button, it revs right up

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Just bought the truck and I know the clutch has 60,000 miles on it but it's been working fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '60 Toyota?

2007 tacoma

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet. I've just got stuck 3 times yesterday when it wouldn't start until i used the procedure above

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've only owned the truck for a week

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/19/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

There is another clutch switch on the clutch pedal that is most likely causing this, it completes the circuit when you push the clutch all the way down, by using the switch on the dash you are bypassing the clutch pedal switch. This kind of like a stop light switch but it's on the clutch pedal, the switch is usually mounted on a bracket, when the pedal is depressed the plunger makes contact and completes the circuit to the starter. A common problem is that the pedal may not go down wnough to depress the switch, this can be caused by thick flooemats or more than one floor mat so check for this as well, other than that I recommend that you replace the clutch pedal switch..

That makes sense. Thanks.

You're welcome please take a moment to rate positively so that I am credited for helping you. Thank you.