Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Everytime you turn the wheel to the right, it makes a

Customer Question
Everytime you turn the...

Everytime you turn the wheel to the right, it makes a clunking noise, straighten it out and it quites. Is the wheel bearing going bad?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

Shouldnt it make a noise turning the wheel both ways if it was the power steering?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2007 FJ Cruiser

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your FJ Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well if it wont cause any harm to drive it till i get a chance to work on it, i will fix it myself. I jacked each side up to see if there was any play in the wheel and there wasnt

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/19/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 7 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. A clunking noise on turns could be a bad wheel bearing, but, I would think that the issue is a bad constant velocity joint. Can you check to see if the rubber covers on the ends of the front axle shafts are not torn?

all 4 are intact

If there are no tears in any of the covers than It is likely that you have a wheel bearing issue. This is not uncommon. It would be prudent to raise the vehicle up and check for excessive lateral endplay in the constant velocity joints before removing the front hubs.

I did that and there is no play in either wheel

Also check the front suspension for looseness. There could be clearance in the outer tie rods. This too will give you a clunk. Typically, wheel bearing s make a grinding noise when they fail. I would be checking the front suspension for excess clearance. Look closely at the driver side outer tie rod socket.

The sockets look good no play in them at all

Look to see is the steering rack is shifting laterally

It's all tight, everything under there

No play in the wheel bearings and no lateral play can rule out wheel bearing/wheel hub issues. Please remember you are looking at the vehicle with no weight on the suspension components. Have someone hold the steering wheel tight and you move the front tires left to right. See if either tire moves a tiny bit more than the other.

Ive had bearings go bad in other vehicle's and there was no play when jacked up

As I said it is possible, but a clunk noise is usually from excess play. I would be looking elsewhere before tearing the hubs apart.

Ok i will do that thanks

You are very welcome.