Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1990 corolla that has a misfire...it had a new

Customer Question
Hi i have a 1990...
Hi i have a 1990 corolla that has a misfire...it had a new distributor in it and was misfiring when i would step on gas...if i barely tap the gas it wont misfire but it also feels like it holda back...well that disttibutor ended up dying out on me so i bought a new one off of ebay and it doea the same thing...i have no idea what it could be...can u please help me
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/19/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 5 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

H​ello, thanks for posting, I will do my best to offer some possible solutions for you.

While the engine is running is the check engine light staying on ?

does it idle ok? without misfire? Did you recently buy it in this condition with the distributor already replaced?

Check engone light is not on and i bought car with new distributor already but it only las and it idles fine but when i give it gas it hesitates pretty bad and starys misfiringtes a couple of weeks and it had the misfire already
Bought it woth new distributor and it misfired already idles fine untip i give gas anf no check engine light ia on

Ok, got it, when accelerating does it backfire? It sounds like it may be a fuel problem, have you tried replacing the fuel filter, it's located near the air filter lower down on the left side.

when i accelerate it does backfire...i wish u can here it so u would know more likely what it can be and no i havent tried changing the fuel filter

Does the check engine light turn on when just turning the key to ON?

it does...
If its fuel related i dont understand why the other new distributor fried on me
When i accelerate slowly it doeant misfire but when i give it gas like if i was gonna take off it miafirea badly like now i floor it and it reachea a certain point and starts to miafire and it doesnt stop

Ok, good, here are a couple of things to check or replace:

Spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap (check for cracks) etc

I'm assuming the distributor came with a new cap and rotor)

If the distributor did not come with a new coil replace the coil

try replacing the fuel filter

Distributor came with everything except spark plugs and wires so ima try that and fuel filter if that doesnt work can i still ask questions or do i need to pay again?

Y​ou can post replies without any additional charge. A common problem on these engines is that the plug wire connectors may be cracked or there may be oil leaking inside from a leaking valve cover gasket, this will cause a misfire under an engine load, this is what it sounds like to me, something electrical is breaking down on the high voltage side, possibly arcing to ground or crossfiring between the plug wires.

than me changing the cables and spark plugs may fix the issue than?

T​here is a good chance yes, be sure to check for oil inside the spark plug tubes and replace the gaslet if necessary, let me know how that goes.

Ok ill let u know thank u

You're welcome, good luck

Hi again...i changed everything u said and still same issue...does this car come with a mass air flow sensor and if so where is it located?

It is located in the intake just before the air filter, there is a connector with some wires on it.

s​ome engines used a MAP sensor which is located on the firewall and has an electrical connector and a vacuum hose on it.

U dont think it could be off timing? Everything im checking seems to be fine im running out of options

I thought of that a while ago, check the timing belt timing marks, you can do this by removing just the upper plastic cover, you may have to remove the valve cover to get it off, as far as I remember the distributor only lines up one way with the cam.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech