Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2003 Highlander. In reverse, engine speeds up then tranny

engages w/ a big hit...
2003 Highlander. In reverse, engine speeds up then tranny engages w/ a big hit. Let off gas and try again. Same thing
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Gas seems to be about the same. Starts OK.
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not fixing as am away. I try to keep reverse speed down. It hasn’t occured at parking space pull out speeds.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have noticed slight. Shuddering going forward at about 35-40 mph.
11/19/2017
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Can you please go to the vehicle, open the hood, remove the transmission dipstick, and observer the color of the transmission fluid? If the fluid on the stick is black or brown, please advise if it has a burnt odor. Thanks

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It’s pinkish brown and no burnt smell. It seems to be overfilled as it is a cold engine with the fluid above both hot notches by about 3/8 in.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Let’s just chat.

Pinkish brown indicates contaminated fluid. The fluid should be clear pink, with no discoloration. I would recommend you get a transmission flush via a machine designed for this purpose. You may have some internal seal issues. A flush and the addition of a transmission fluid conditioner during the flush should restore your trans performance if there is no internal failures.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Should the filter be replaced?

No. The filter is an expensive metal screen that never goes bad. You want a FLUSH, not a drain the pan.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK. First thing Mon. Thanks.

You are very welcome. Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert