Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 TOyota Hilux Surf from Japan (RH drive). The…

Customer Question
Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a 2001 TOyota Hilux Surf from Japan (RH drive). The 4WD just flashes and never engages. I changed the front differential actuator because I noticed on a lot of forums this was the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Toyota?

Hilux Surf is basically a 4Runner

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm actually in MOngolia so I'm helping a mechanic at a repair shop. We replaced the front diff actuator with original toyota part.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've also replaced two of the transfer indicator switches on the rear diff actuator

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/19/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 8 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. You are correct, this is an ongoing problem with the Surf/4Runner units. Here is how it works: You select 4WD. The front differential unit is commanded to engage. When engaged, a circuit is completed, which then sends power to the transfer case shift motor. The transfer case shift motor then moves the transfer case internals to 4WD. This completes a circuit that causes the 4WD light to illuminate. When the 4WD light flashes, the transfer case shift motor has not responded properly. Here is what you need to do: Have someone switch the 4WD control from 2 to 4, and you tap on the rear-facing side of the transfer case with a rubber mallet (do not use a hammer because you will crack the case. If you have to use a hammer, place a piece of wood against the transfer case and tap on the wood. This tapping usually loosens a stuck transfer case shift motor and the system will return to operation. If the tapping does not work, the transfer case needs to come off, be taken apart, and the transfer case shift motor replaced. If you have any questions, please reply. Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input on your request. Thanks!

I got your message. Thanks. I'll have to try this.DO you know the part number for the transfer case shift motor?
Not sure if the RHD part numbers are the same as LHD. I would check with a dealer parts dept.