Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L Engine 170000 miles.

Customer Question
Radio, cigarette lighter nearest driver...
2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L Engine 170000 miles. Radio, cigarette lighter nearest driver, and power mirrors do not work.Driver mirror folds in under power but passenger does not. Neither side mirror works with remote mirror switch. All other cigarette lighter style power outlets work. No CEL and no codes present on OBDII scanner. Related fuses changed in engine bay and cabin fuse block.All items work after battery is disconnected then reconnected. Key is turned off then back on, same items light up for about 2 seconds then go dark.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/19/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

this sounds like a common link and I will have to study our wiring diagram to properly answer you. Can you wait till tomorrow evening so I have time to do this? Or have me pass it on?

I can wait . Thanks and I will wait for your reply
I can add more money if necessary for your time

Let me see what info I can drum up for you first, as I like to be fair and honest.

Peter, update for you. The problem is in the steering column electronics. When the steering column extends more than about halfway outward, towards the driver, the radio shuts off and so does the cig lighter and the remote outside mirror control. Use the electronic control knob to move the steering column away from the driver and the radio with accessories works again. There is one spot where the radio consistently shuts down. Moving the steering column one half inch either way results in activation or deactivation of the radio and accessories in question. The spot is about the 50% extension mark of the column. To be clear, I am referring to the power telescoping steering knob located on the column, left, low, about 7 O'Clock on a dial. Moving steering wheel vertically has no effect. Moving the steering horizontally towards the driver is where the affect is observed.
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago

THAT TO ME SOUNDS LIKE THE CLOCK SPRING IN THE STEERING WHEEL HAS AN ISSUE

Ok, can you provide some info on what part it is, how to access it, and how to remedy the issue? If you can do so then I will wrap up this and release payment. Thank you.

ok need to download some info first so I can forward it to you. Is Tomorrow ok?