Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a 1997 Camry that has been stalling every now and

then over the last 8...
I have a 1997 Camry that has been stalling every now and then over the last 8 mos. The car will drive fine for 1 or 2 weeks then for 1 or2 days it will hesitate a little then stall when I stop. If I pull over and turn off the car for 4-5 min. ,then I can restart it like nothing happened. It may do it again the next day or so and then it won't happen again for another week or 2.3 mechanics and $578. later I still don't have an answer. One did a tune-up, one changed a cylinder and the last said he tightened some hoses.What could it be? I' m trying another mechanic on 11/29.
11/18/2017
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The number one cause of stalling is from carbon buildup in a device called the Idle Air Control Valve ("IAC"). The IAC is responsible for all of the idle speed variations. Over time, and miles, carbon deposits build up inside the IAC, either blocking the air flow off (a no idle condition), or, the shutter valve movement is impeded (intermittent stall condition). If your vehicle was in my shop, I would be looking at the IAC as the cause of your problem.

If you have any questions, please reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you. I have an appointment with a new mechanic on 11/29, I'll have him check that. Anything else I should have him do? My car has 151,00 miles on it.

I would recommend you have the throttle body and throttle plate cleaned. The cleaning is not a big job, nor is it expensive, but, since it is necessary to remove the throttle body, it is a good idea to have it cleaned out good. In our shop the cleaning is part of the IAC replacement procedure.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you. I hope I can reach you after my appointment to let you know the outcome.

Please reply back to this chat box; I will respond as soon as the system alerts me.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert