Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I can change gears when the engine is switched off. but when…

Customer Question
I can change gears...

I can change gears when the engine is switched off. but when the engine is started I cannot shift between gears. Appreciate your help. Iaiin

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

6 or 7 years. No I havent checked the brake switch. How do I do that

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2006 Toyota Fortuna 3 D 4 D

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not very mechanical so I am trying to analyze the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is an airflow problem as well

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/18/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Is this an automatic transmission? If so I will send you a pic of what to look for , for the shift lock override. This will get you going till you get it looked at. This is just a generic picture but will give you an idea what to lock for. when you find this little cover , pry it out and there is a over ride switch you just push down so you can shift out of park.

Usually what causes this is either the brake light fuse or switch, so check the brake lights if they work. If they do then the lock switch may be faulty.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.