Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Bought a used 2008 Toyota Corolla with a W-R Air Intake

Bought a used 2008...

Bought a used 2008 Toyota Corolla with a W-R Air Intake System. Cleaned the filter a couple of days ago. Started stopping today especially when slowing down or at a stop sign. A dealer said "MAFS spliced into cold air intake combined with unmatched aftermarket ECM Fuel Adjuster Pack causing lean condition." What needs to be done, and where can I get the parts. I'm not an auto mechanic or knowledgeable about them.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

Well over a150,000. Runs very well. Gets about 31 mpg.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have mechanics do it. As for this problem I bought a new battery, and battery clamp on + battery made more tight. Tests show that battery, alternator, and starter are okay. The last few times I was going to stop I put it in neutral and it kept on running.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not to my knowledge.

11/17/2017
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

have you tried to pull any trouble codes from the ECU yet?

Response at AutoZone. P0171 System too lean ( bank 1) P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance problem. Dealer response: CEL on. Multitude of aftermarket parts leading to CEL DTC codes P2118. P0101. P0171. C2141. C2124. C2123. C2122. And C2121.
No. I'm not a mechanic.

This is what you get into with aftermarket necessaries and if someone that don't install them correctly. I am very familiar with these and they look better then what they actually do for any significant performance so I would put all the original stuff back on and sell those and put your money to better use. As far as that lean code .

We have had a rash of corollas with leaky intake gaskets that cause that very code. This is an easy check that you can perform.

I didn't mean to scare you away as we can continue any way you wish , just thought it would be faster and more clearer for you. So just let me know how you wish to proceed and what info you wish and we can proceed.

I just need to know what ECM Fuel Adjuster pack is needed to work with the W-R air intake system.
where to get it.

If this is the way you wish to go, here is a link as these items are considered performance parts and only after market suppliers that handle those products will have them. But as I stated about that lean code , check the intake for any vacuum leaks by spraying some carb cleaner around the gasket area and watch the tach for any surging. Anything else I can answer for you?

Not at this moment. I have to get with my son or mechanic to get this done. Thanks.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician