Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am working on a 2002 Toyota camry, I just changed the

Customer Question
passenger side axle shaft because...
I am working on a 2002 Toyota camry, I just changed the passenger side axle shaft because it had a bad axle bearing, but now after driving it there is still a sort of grinding noise and the strut is vibrating when I am running in drive at 3000 rpm but the drivers side is not shaking, what do you think?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/17/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Did you make sure the axle support bearing is properly installed and clip is tight?

there are 2 guide pins that the support bearing housing fits onto, to line up then I got the 3 bolts tight, and yes the clip went in with it tight.
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Was the old axle with or without abs ring?

It was with.
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

And the new one is same?

I got it from are napa auto and we matched them up on the counter.
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

You said the strut vibrates at 3k rpm, is the grinding noise present only at that time or at slower speeds too?

I don`t here the grinding noise then, but when I am driving down the road at 50 or so you can here it.
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Since the noise is present at high speeds, was not present before and no clicking noise. The problem has to be a defective bearing on the axle or something loose.

When you say a defective bearing on the axle do you mean the new axle I just bought or the wheel bearing, because I cannot move the wheel up or down or left or right, I have changed a couple of the wheel bearings on these Toyotas and you could move the wheel a little.
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Not the wheel bearing, i mean the center bearing on the axle as that is the only thing that can give a grinding noise that was not present before.

When I put the bearing mount on the bearing and then the clip I checked it for movement before I installed it and there was just a little movement ever so slight but I thought maybe that is normal, the old bearing I could move it more.
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Are you taliking about the axle bearing?

I am talking about the axle support bearing.
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Its not suppose to have play, it should be tight.

Well that is what I thought, so when I put the bracket on the bearing then the clip, then I tightend the bolt that holds the bearing then I checked for play and like I said there was just a very little movement.
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

There is a possibility of either the bearing not buit to exact specification or the mount where the bearing sits is worn.

OK, then what would you suggest, take the new shaft back and ask for another and try to find another bracket, how can I check to tell if the wheel bearing is bad other than trying to move the wheel back and forth?
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

To check for play in wheel bearing you can move it up and down but usually if it a bad wheel bearing you should be hearing grinding noise at lower speeds. I will start by double checking all the fasteners on passenger side to make sure are tight. If good replace the axle with a different brand axle.

Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Hello, just checking if anuy updates?

thank you it is fixed.