Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Intermittent Starting Issue 1994 Toyota Corolla I'm having…

Customer Question
Intermittent Starting Issue1994 Toyota CorollaI'm...
Intermittent Starting Issue1994 Toyota CorollaI'm having an issue where about half the time I try to start my Corolla, it just completely dies on me.I'll put the key in; and turn through the Accessory and On positions. All dash and headlights will work, the radio will play, and the blower turn on. Once I turn to the Start position, everything immediately dies. No turning over, no clicking, nothing. And then everything electric stops working. I can take out the key, put it back in, and still no dash lights, no headlights, no anything, and of course, nothing in the Start position at all.The only thing that works then is if I open the door, the Door Ajar light comes on along with the 'ding' sound. If I move into Accessory position with the door open, this light and sound get very dim and soft. They then progressively get stronger over 10 seconds or so, and then go back to very dim and soft and repeat that cycle.I take off my negative post battery cable, put it back on and then try again. I get the same 50/50 chance things will work normally or I'll encounter the not starting again. I find if I progress through the ignition switch positions slowly there's a better chance of it working than if I just turn all the way to Start immediately.Battery is good and putting out 12V, I trickle charged it for a weekend to make sure. The posts have been cleaned as well.Problem started about 2 weeks ago, before that no problems at all since I changed the battery out about 6 months ago.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/17/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

It sounds like your ignition switch may be failing, to test you need to access the wires going to switch during problem. The white wire should have 12v an the black/white wire should have 12v with key in start position. If the solid white wire has voltage but not the black/white wire this would prove the ignition switch needs to be replaced. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Toyota Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago

Ever get problem figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.