Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Toyota Prius in which I cleaned the fan motor…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Toyota Prius in which I cleaned the fan motor to the HV battery. I removed the service plug to the HV battery as this was recommended in the you tube video I watched to learn the procedure. I got the fan cleaned out only to discover that the car would no longer start and that the following symptoms were present:

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Whoops - and now the symptoms: pressed power button with brake pedal pressed and got red LED, red triangle, BRAKE, ABS, etc. illuminated, no READY indication or speedometer number. Next I replaced the 12V auxiliary battery and also read that the reinstallation of the service plug was a three-step process and, sure enough, I had omitted the third step so I locked the service plug properly. Now, despite having properly reinstalled the service plug for the HV battery and having replaced the 12V auxiliary battery, I still cannot start the car and have the same symptoms listed above with the additional symptom on a tiny red car with a little black key in it now displaying on the dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I am doing most of this myself but my mechanic came by with a scan tool to see if he could read any DTCs but was unable to because the car wouldn't start. It is as though, even though I can still unlock the car, my key is no longer recognized by the transponder ECU.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/17/2017
Toyota Mechanic: john, The Car Guy replied 7 months ago
john
john, The Car Guy

have you manually tried the key in the dash slot?

Not sure what is meant by manually but I ‘be placed the key in the slot each time I’ve tried to start it. I even replaced the battery in the key fob.
Continue via text please.

thats what i meant since the car is keyless entry or has the slot

Yeah no key in the traditional sense but have to press a button on the key fob to unlock doors. Perhaps I should also have mentioned that this vehicle does not have the smart key feature and that the Toyota logo on the fob is black and not silver as with vehicles with the smart key option.
Toyota Mechanic: Daniel Lee, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Daniel Lee
Daniel Lee, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am currently reviewing your question. Will the vehicle get into the "on" position, not acc but "on". Not "ready on" either.

So to clarify, pressing the power button twice, does it go that far?

Hi Daniel, I went back over all the areas of the car that I had worked on and disconnected connectors and found I had neglected to reconnect a connector for the HV battery to a corresponding ECU. Once that was reconnected all returned to normal and the car will now start. Yay! Thank you for responding however.

oh good haha.