Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

When i put my 2011 toyota tundra in reverse and give it gas…

Customer Question
When i put my...

When i put my 2011 toyota tundra in reverse and give it gas it doesn't rev up and acts like the brakes are on and won't accelerate. In neutral the truck drives as if it was in 'Drive'.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It starts right up and drives normal in Drive but I can't reverse and I have to turn the truck off to put it in neutral so i can push it backwards.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've looked around but i'm not sure what to do to try and fix it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Toyota
Are you still working on it?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
Toyota Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 9 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

Ok

engine size please?

5.7 V8

ok thanks

do you have a volt meter, test light or a scan tool that reads live data?

Volt meter i have. waiting to recieve a scan tool i just purchased

ok this looks like its going to be a transmission range sensor, aka neutral safety switch issue.

check the shift cable first

Ok ill look that up and change it out and get back with ya will it be you i chat with when i come back with results?

yes sir. ill be right here

Check shift cable ajustment if thats all good then look into sensor?

yes

Okay then appreciate the directions and I'll get into it and get back with you thank you

I think its probably going to be more of the shifter cable problem, so check the adjustment and let me know

diagrams

i ran all test with voltage meter and it check out alright. then i got access to a scanner so i double check my results. i shifted through all gears and watched each gear turn off and on.through screen of scanner so i got under there disconnect cable and shifted tranny by hand and found its really rough from park to reverse to neutral and then slides right in to drive smooth and easy so now i'm wishing it was just the switch for $ 300 to 350 now I'm thinking about 9 times that.and I;m hoping you can tell I'm wrong please tell me im wrong

if you removed everything from the lever on the transmission, and its easy to turn one way and not the other, unfortunately the switch assembly inside of the transmission is the issue

can that be replaced without pulling the tranny

ill get you the procedure

thanks for your patience, im really trying hard to see if theres a way to replace it without pulling the tranny. ive always pulled it though

no problem thanks for your help question/ is it possible that clutches or something got real hot and fused together because in park and reverse the engine wont rev up it like its boggin and it wont get past 2000 rpm

its possible. start at step 11 and go down to step 27

hows it going?

do you still need assistance?