Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have a no spark condition on a 2000 Toyota 4runner. How do

I determine which igniter wires...
I have a no spark condition on a 2000 Toyota 4runner. How do I determine which igniter wires come from the ECM and which wires go to the coils?
11/17/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech/Toyota Certified

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
How do I determine whether the problem is with the ECM compared to the igniter?

The first thing to do would be is run a check for codes using a scan tool to determine if there is a problem causing the no start, loss of spark, check to see if you have an rpm signal using a scan tool and see if you have injector pulse using a noid light. Then you can see if you need to test the igniter circuit or not.

HDGENE
Dennis Gooch
Dennis Gooch, Master Technician
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Approximately what time will you call?

I didnt accept the phone call, Did you need me to call, I gave you the basic information you need to start with. Phone calls cost an additional fee.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I already made the payment and have not received the call. I paid for the answer and an additional $26 for the phone call

You were not charged for it. If i accepted the phone call you would have been charged for both the phone call and paid for the question at the same time. Any billing questions can be directed to***@******.*** ANy money on your account should still be in your account. If someone else picked up the call they would call you, but it wasnt me. I wont get paid unless you rate the question.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The injectors are ok. Is continuity alone on the crank and cam sensors enough for test?

No, a scan tool will show if you are getting an rpm signal. the crank sensor will generate an ac signal voltage, faster the engine turns, the higher the ac voltage. A noid light will also show, if you have an rpm signal you will have injector pulse ( and should have spark)

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
When I crank the engine, there is no change in the dash RPM. I thought I should see some change, no matter how little. I am thinking that the crank sensor is bad. Is there a way to pass signal to the igniter that simulates a signal from the ECM? What voltage and which wire do I apply the voltage?

No, you need to run through the diagnosis the right way. You cannot simulate an rpm signal. You will want to check for injector pulse as I mentioned and run a diagnsostic and look at live sensor data.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Got it..OK Many Thanks.

You are welcome, thank you.

HDGENE
HDGENE