Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My highlander is new one and 5000 miles but when I turn on

Customer Question
the key then gas smell...
My highlander is new one and 5000 miles but when I turn on the key then gas smell come out sometimes. But after starting the car then no smell...I asked it to dealer but they said all fuel systems was fine. Do you know why?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: only park status
JA: What year is your Highlander?
Customer: 2017, may
JA: Are you fixing your Highlander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I visited the dealer once.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only the gas smell problem
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Toyota
11/16/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 28 days ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I would recommend you take the vehicle back to the dealer for further diagnosis. There should NEVER be a fuel odor at ANY time. This sounds to me like you have a leaking gasket on the fuel rail. When the fuel pump energizes, the gasket may seep a bit of fuel. This could be dangerous if left unattended to. Since it is under warranty, your dealer is OBLIGATED to look into thsi and rectify the issue. If you have any questions, please reply, Please do take a moment to confirm you have received my input. Thanks!

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert