Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have 2004 sienna with 250,000 miles when I step the brakes

Customer Question
sometimes it feels like the...
I have 2004 sienna with 250,000 miles when I step the brakes sometimes it feels like the abs is working when the tires are not skidding. Normally I just quickly let my foot of the brakes and and reapply them and I can stop ok.
JA: Have you tried "bleeding the brakes" to get any air out of the line?
Customer: no but there is no reason there should be air in the line
JA: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to fix it myself but not sure where to start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
11/16/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 month ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. As I understand your request, you are stating that the ABS is activating without benefit of a wheel skid condition. Is thsi correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It feels like it is activating occasionally when it should not.

Please advise if all 4 tires are exactly the same size, and from the same manufacturer

I would suspect that the device the ABS wheel speed sensor "reads" (to determine the wheel RPM) on one of the wheels has a crack in it, or, there is something amiss with the hub that contains the speed sensor. If the reading device is cracked, the wheels speed/RPM signal is compromised. This 'tricks' the ABS unit into activating without a skid, as the faulty sensor reading is telling the ABS unit that the wheel or wheels is/are turning zero RPM (a skid condition). Removal and inspection of the faces of the 4 wheel speed sensors is the next step. If they all look good (no damage or rust), look internally inside the hubs for a crack or broken tooth on the toothed gear that the sensor reads.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks I will check them next week

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you. I trust my input is satisfactory and meets your expectations. A positive rating for my assistance on your request would be greatly appreciated; thanks again and have a great day

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert