Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Brakes have been mushy on my 2011 Toyota Tundra. Basically…

Customer Question
Brakes have been mushy...

Brakes have been mushy on my 2011 Toyota Tundra. Basically you apply the brakes and the brakes engage but the vehicle does not stop as it use to. You have to apply the brake almost to the floor. The ABS also engages on any medium stopping force. The Toyuota dealership replaced the MC and no change. Now they say its the ABS Actuator but there is no issue with the ABS....it works just fine but engages way too early. Of course the ABS actuator is $3000 so is that a symptom of the ABS actuator or the Brake Booster

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried "bleeding the brakes" to get any air out of the line?

Yep that was done....twice

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

No dealership did it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/16/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 8 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if the ABS light is illuminated on the instrument panel. Thanks.

The light was not lit...no brake lights. I spoke to the guys at the dealership and they feel its a leak within in the ABS actuator. I asked if the MC was contaminated and they said no. I asked if there was any collapsed brake lines and they said no. The MC was replaced and the brakes still were mushy. They had no code on the brake system when checked either. With the car off the brake pedal can be mashed to the floor...there is a small squeak when releasing the brake which seems to indicate brake booster but they have said it is not the issue.
The actuator is an electrical component but has hydraulics that are contained which drive the brakes evidently from what I have been able to see....thus my query if that high dollar part will address the issue. Tundras just do not have brake issues.

Thanks for the quick reply. IF there was an issue with the actuator, there would most certainly be a code associated with it. Speculation on an actuator replacement would not be recommended, unless they are doing it for free. More often than not, when the ABS activates prematurely, the issue can be traced to several possibilities...Mis-matched tires (like 2 Firestone and 2 Goodyear), dirt or rust on the ABS wheel speed sensors creating a false signal, or, most commonly, a cracked or otherwise defective 'tone ring' (the unit inside the hubs that the wheel speed sensor "reads" to determine wheel speed. A good tech can diagnose this with a scan tool; reading the actual live data stream of the 4 wheel speed sensors.