Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

94 Toyota pickup 22re fuel injected. I was troubleshooting…

Customer Question
94 Toyota pickup 22re...

94 Toyota pickup 22re fuel injected. I was troubleshooting alternator disconnected the positive battery cable, reved the engine it backfired and now it is hard to start and the you have to hold the gas half way it runs like it is hitting on 3 cylinders and is flooding, got any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Did you read my question ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '94 Toyota?

It is just a pickup not a Tacoma 1994

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is not a Tacoma, yes I am fixing it myself

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
The engine has been rebuilt, only has about 2k on it an the reason I was checking the alternator was the brake and battery light would come on at 2000 rpm or more. when the battery cable was disconnected revved it up till those lights came on that is when it backfired and quit. Then had the problem with it starting and running.
11/15/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

thanks for posting

when it starts does it keep running but idle rough like a bad misfire? Have you checked the engine timing?, It's possible that the backfire caused the timing belt to jump on the pulleys

no, I have not checked the timing. But will this weekend or Friday and will get back to you. It don't have a belt it has a chain with sprockets.
It will not stay running at idle and does not misfire, it is like it is flooding and you have to keep the throttle open to try and keep it running and like it is firing on 2 or3 cylinders.

Thanks for the reply for some reason I thought is was a v6, sorry for the mixup.

check the intake hoses between the throttle body and the air filter for cracks or if any popped off when it backfired. check the air flow meter, make sure the air door is not stuck and moves freely open and closes by itself.

I did all of what you said but I Did not get the timing checked.it all checked good. It is misfiring especially at low rpm. I was thinking backfiring on your question earlier. It smooth's out at higher rpm but still misses a little. It wants to die when you try to accelerate but you have to hold the throttle open to keep it running it will not idle. The dash lights brighten and dim with rpm's.

T​hanks for the reply, it sounds likw he backfire has something to do with this, you said earlier that the engine backfired and died with the battery disconnected, this would indicate that the alternator is not charging the battery. Not sure how that can cause the current problem though. If you have a voltmeter check the voltage of the battery while the engine is running, it should be right around 13 volts.

the engine ran with it disconnected but when I revved it up to when the brake light and oil pressure light on the instrument panel came on is when it backfired and quit, that was what I was trying to figure out, why they were coming on, some one said it was the alternator to check it by disconnecting the + cable.

When those two lights turn on it's usually an alternator problem. The alternator supplies most of the current for the ignition system as well as the lights and accessories while the engine is running, some current goes to the battery to keep it charged if the alternator fails the engine will run on the battery until it is discharged below 11 volts then the engine will stall.

can I disconnect the positive check to ground with meter if the engine still runs and check the output ?

Just connect the voltmeter two the two battery terminals and check the voltage.