Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I took my Toyota Corolla LE 2009 into the dealer for

Customer Question
I took my Toyota...

I took my Toyota Corolla LE 2009 into the dealer for multiple recalls that included: accelerator pedal modification; smart stop technology; power window master switch; spiral cable replacement; Takata Front passenger airbag inflator. Car had been serviced September. Running fine - no issues. After the recalls were fixed, after driving for a short distance, the engine light is on and the VSC light is flashing and is on off. Took car back to dealer. They checked codes and said code indicates misfiring in one of the cylinders. They can't be sure why. Will do a diagnostic for $140 but does not have anything to do with recall work. Just a coincidence. Is this true? Never used the dealer before.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you happen to know the code? Have you tried to reset the computer?

No. They did not give me the code. I did leave the car for the diagnostic work-up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I have no clue. I would prefer to take my car to the place that does my regular maintenance.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/15/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Did you notice any difference in vehicle's performance when the lights came on?

No. I picked up the car from the dealership after service on Thursday. Drove it home. Drove it a short distance on Sunday. Did not drive again until this morning. Got into car and engine light on constant and VSC light blinking. Lights were not on before.
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Roughly how many miles do you have on the vehicle?

65,000
Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

The list of repairs done by the dealer will not trigger the check engine light. At this low mileage if there is a code for misfire, it is usually when engine is due for tuneup. But since there is no engine performance issue, i wil recommend to clear the check engine light and check if it comes back on.

Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you have any other questions?

Toyota Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent auto mechanic and do not work at or for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me .

3. I only get credit for my work from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer