Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 Avalon radiator cooling fans not coming on, Yes

Customer Question
2004 Avalon radiator cooling...

2004 Avalon radiator cooling fans not coming on

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fuses?

Yes overheating. I'm not sure which fuses to check. 26, 58, and 59?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm attempting to

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/14/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Do you have a volt meter or test light?

I have a fluke 120-600v meter
Not sure if that'll work

need as 12 volt meter so we can test if the cooling fans receive power when the vehicle reaches normal operating temperature or about half. It will either need the fan relay or the fan motors or wiring in between.

the first step is to see if the fans receive power when PCM activates the fan

Here is an attachment regarding location

What is the pcm

That is the brain of the car.

Ok let me check and I'll get back to you

sounds good

Is there a time limit on this chat?

There is not. unless it reaches past 30 days

Does the coolant level have anything to do with the fans not working? Because I noticed that my coolant was very low yesterday and I filled it up to full and took a chance and drove my car. I barely made it back home I just got to my car and the coolant is low again.
I used some universal 50/50 coolant from autozone

no the coolant level has nothing to do with the fans working

If the coolant is low it is due to either getting too hot, or it has a leak somewhere

I have my meter.
Does the engine have to be on?

the engine temperature has to be half to check voltage at connector of the fan for voltage

It's it half now
By the way, the fans work when I turn the AC on

ok then we have to see if the relay is getting voltage when the ac is off to activate the fans. do you have a scan tool to monitor the temperature reading? at 215, it will engage the fan. So does the temperaturwe go above half and fan still does not come on?

if temperature goes above half and you hear fan come on by them self without the ac, then the fan operating normal and you may have a different issue

Oh yes the engine has been overheating when the car is idle since yesterday. If I give it some time the needle on the guage will go up
The fans do not kick on by themselves when the engine is overheating
As of right now, temp is staying at half though
Actually the guage is going up now

ok one moment

only one out of the two fans kicked on by itself. The one closer to the battery

ok does it sound like it is in high speed or low?

Doesn't seem like low speed
I think it's high speed

I think your water pump may have failed on you

Check the cooling fan operation. Locate the coolant temperature switch. Ground the Red/Yellow wire. The cooling fans should operate

To check if the water pump is pushing the coolant, remove the bottom hose from the throttle body and have a bottle or something that will hold the water when you start the vehicle to see if the coolant is flowing. If low or no flow, possibly the water pump is bad.

try to do it when the engine is cool so you do not burn yourself.

Ok so first things first, where is the coolant temp switch and red/yellow wire?

here

Is this something I should be able to see with the hood open or do I have to get under the car?

under hood, I will be away momentary will be back later this afternoon. Do those things & I will get back to you later on.

Is there anyone else I can talk to? I'm having a hard time locating that just from looking at the picture.
No problem I will open this up for everyone else
I was charged for the phone call, but I never got a call. Am I still being charged?