Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I've had my 2009 Toyota Corolla in to the shop to fix a

Customer Question
I've had my 2009 Toyota...
I've had my 2009 Toyota Corolla in to the shop to fix a shaking or pulsing front and backwards when I drive....this kicks in about 30 MPH and gets worse as the speed goes up. When I go over a bump in the road it really shakes in a forward and backward motion, not side to side. i have new tires, had the wheel bearing replaced and now also the axle replaced on the left side front, and with each repair the problem seems to just get worse. What in the heck are these mechanics missing.
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: put on about a month ago, never had a problem with tires before
JA: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, took it to the dealer who has done all the maintenance, repairs on the car since I bought it new from them. They have changed the wheel bearing, and today put on a new axel, balanced tires again and checked alignment
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm loosing my mind over this shaking :(
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
11/14/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Ok first question, do you have aftermarket wheels?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the wheels are original

I have seen over the years even with new tires they could have what they call excessive run out and or deformities in the belts something a balancer wouldnt see but you feel at certain speeds.

does the mechanic agree there is a issue when you test drive with him?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I don't want to talk on the phone, I just want to get your advice on how to follow up with the mechanic again tomorrow, so I'm bringing up things that they need to look at that could be causing the problem--you know--troubleshootingI haven't been on a test drive with them, but they have agreed that there are issues.....but they have also thought they had it fixed both times.

so the good thing is in the contract you signed for them to work on it, they are giving you a diagnostic and not a guess so you shouldnt have to pay for any repairs unless it fixes your car, if they have a balancer that can do a roadforce test I would use that and also inspect all upper and lower suspension components, have them check the rotors and the runout on it, if they have a on the car lathe this would be best to get a true ballance on that, I would also ask for a master tech to work on your vehicle, it seems like your mechanic dosent know what is going on,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I feel like I know more than they do at this point--and I'm just an old woman who knows nothing about cars. Thank you for these ideas, they make perfect sense to me.

if you have any questions while your there just shoot me a message and we will try to get this figured out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is the best way to send you a message tomorrow?

you can just access this conversation again, you can do it though your e mail when they send you notifications or though your account and it should be on there as well

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thanks so much for your help.

sure thing!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician