Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 Sienna. Having trouble getting the liftgate latch

Customer Question
2007 Sienna. Having...

2007 Sienna. Having trouble getting the liftgate latch aligned after I got rear ended. The latch actually worked fine after the accident, but now trying to smooth out the kinks and get the latch aligned. It will lock to the first "catch", but will not fully engage and activate the "door closed" sensor. Any tricks to get it properly aligned?

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

It's a manual door and the release handle works fine. It's the "door closed" sensor in the latch assembly. If I simulate with a screwdriver the "door open"light, and interior lights go out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, it's DIY. Since it was hit from behind all I can do is pry, bend and hit to try to restore the general shape. After the first session the latch would not align at all. Noted that the catch on the lower body was bent slightly up and forward, but with some brute force I got it back into position. So now it catches to the first position, just not fully.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just want to know some idea for getting everything into proper alignment.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Toyota
11/13/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I am Randall I have attached a bit more information than you may need but keep in mind upon reading it? hinges are slotted, striker is slotted so you will have to move things around till it latches correct. With damage already and I am not there? all I can do is send the repair adjustment information and then you will have to tweak it to get it to latch tight and so on, I recommend using some spray paint, Paint the striker and hinges so you at least know a referecne point when you loosen them to make adjustments. This way you can go back to original spots. Its goi8ng to take a bit of trial and error on your part since things were beny but confident you will get it./ Lastly, the latch could? be bad unsure but sounds like it is ok. Just wanted to mention

Please use the Star Rating at top of your screen and Rate my service I have provided, Star Rating does NOT close this post. You can rate and still return for free to this post. Thanks

Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician